Saturday, February 14, 2009

4 Day Weekend for Kids = Normal Weekend for Me

Parent Teacher Conferences.

(((shutter)))

I totally understand why these are a necessary part of the educational process, however, when I see a four day weekend on the calendar, I expect to be work free for four days. Without the kids at the school its just a big empty building...where I can finally get a little peace and quiet. I would still rather be at home with Beth and Gabe.

I spent a lot of time cleaning my office and getting an extra desk out off the way, I now have enough room to practice my cello, or have a student set up in there so I can give them a playing assessment. Now all I need is some sweet wall art to fill all of the empty wall space that used to be taken up by the desk and an ancient apple computer.

Upon the recommendation of the School Librarian, Beth and I picked up the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. She said that many of the people she knows, who have read these, say it is the best series they have ever read. That would mean it would have to surpass The Ranger's Aprintice (seriously, you need to read these), Lord of the Rings, The Abhorsen Trilogy, Harry Potter... We'll see about that. I'll let you know how the first one turns out.

While I'am in book mode, those of you that like graphic novels or manga should check out the Scott Pilgrim series, a Canadian's spin on the manga. It is quirky and entertaining no matter what kind of books you like to read. The only way you'll not like this series is if you're a person who likes to torture cute little bunnies; and I know you're not like that.